Sharing my experience in learning English.

 


Sharing my experience in learning English.

For me, learning a language is a complicated process. It is different from learning other subjects, learning a language involves a lot of practice, follow-up, and grammar rules. I started learning English when I was just 6 years old and completed my schooling in English medium. Even though I studied in English medium my English is poor because I studied English only to score marks [memorization] to pass- out, I started to study English as a language at BPU [Buddhist and Pali University of Sri Lanka].

when I study English for the very first time, English become one of my favorite subjects. The syllabus included Grammar, rhymes, poems, and short stories. It became boring to me when a teacher introduced grammar because learning grammar many practices and memorizing words is quite boring for me.

when I reached Sri Lanka, I faced lots of troubles because of language. Here I cannot speak English as well as the Singhalese language which is [the official language of Sri Lanka] I do understand English but I cannot speak up, anyhow I started studying English as a second language at Buddhist and Pali University, here I learned the usage and necessity of English in a globalized world. Here I have learned a Second language, Theories, methods, factors, etc.


Second language and importance - as we all know; Second Language is a language learned by a person in his/her first or native language. A second language a typically an official or societal dominant language needed for education, employment, and other basic purposes.

Theories on language acquisition – in l2 learning, there are a lot of theories among them these three are popular.

·         Behaviorism

·         Nativism {UG}

·         Krashen’s monitor model


Second Language Teaching Methods

·         GTM [ Grammar Translation Method]

·         Direct method

·         Audio-lingual method [speaking and listening, focuses on memorizing, mimicry, etc.]

·         Natural Approach

·         Communicative Language Teaching.

 

Factors Affecting Second Language Learning

Internal Factors are- 


·         Intelligence

·         Aptitude

·         Motivation

·         personality

·         Attitude

·         Beliefs

·         Age etc.,

Externals Factors are-

·         Instruction

·         Learning environment

Personality

·         Extroversion

·         Introversion 

As we know introverted learners show slower progress mainly in Oral development. Shy, hesitation, etc. I am having an introverted personality, so it’s very difficult for me to learn a language, I always avoid to speaks in foreign languages because of fear of mistakes.


Challenges I have faced

  1. Ø  Limited learning environments.
  2. Ø  Lack of seriousness.
  3. Ø  Inadequate learning materials.
  4. Ø  Overuse of Native language in the classroom.

 

My opinion

Again, listen to music, speech, lecturer, or any audio in the target language.

Read – read everything you get in your hand. Classic literature, newspapers, websites, emails, your social media feed, etc.

Stop worrying about mistakes.

 


 

 

Comments

  1. Thanks for your new ideas regarding L2 learning. Hope you can improve your English and master it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

World War and Rise of the English Language (lesson plan/ Lesson)

L2 learning and Teaching reference Digital Native.

My comment on classroom video.